American Top Team cancels classes for coronavirus, only pro fighters, coaches allowed – MMA Fighting

Dan Lambert and his American Top Team gym aren’t taking any chances with the coronavirus.

The world class MMA team announced Saturday on Instagram that it is canceling classes for the public at its Coconut Creek, Fla., location in response to widespread concern over COVID-19, the virus that has led to the shutdown of sporting events and mass gatherings around the world.

The statement reads:

During the past few weeks it has become apparent that we are facing a great challenge in regards to COVID-19.

We want to do our best in keeping our members, families and communities safe and healthy.

With that in mind, we have decided to CANCEL ALL CLASSES for the next 30 days.

This is effective immediately.

This includes: all kids classes, adult classes, and after-school, wrestling classes.

We are doing this out of an abundance of caution for all. We hope you understand our decision and prepare accordingly and continue to follow the safe guidelines set forth by the CDC and Florida Dept. of Health.

Lambert told MMA Fighting via text that the gym will remain open to pros and coaches, with the hopes that reducing the amount of people in the gym will limit the chances of exposure.

“Nothing foolproof,” Lambert said. “Just trying to give the fighters the best opportunity to train and stay healthy at same time.”

The ATT roster includes numerous high-level competitors, including two-division UFC champion Amanda Nunes, Jorge Masvidal, Dustin Poirier, Yoel Romero, Colby Covington, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, and PFL lightweight champion Kayla Harrison, among others. ATT affiliate gyms are allowed to decide COVID-19 policies individually, Lambert said.

Earlier this week, Lambert told MMA Fighting that the plan was to proceed as normal with an increased emphasis on safety and sanitation, though he noted that non-combatant gym member attendance was already dwindling. He did not expect pro fighters to avoid training sessions, though.

“We can’t tell people to disappear and stay home,” Lambert said. “Nobody’s going to get ready for a fight staying home. They’re all going to work. We’re not one of those employers that has the luxury of telling employees to stay home and do their work from there.”

Lambert said he will reassess the gym’s policy in 30 days.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright Zitub.com 2020